Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Now I know why they call us "patients"...

I'm sure the joke has been made many times before, but yesterday really tried my patience as a patient. We had 2 appointments - one for an ultrasound and one with the high-risk OB doctors (called Maternal-Fetal-Medicine docs, or MFMs). Jason and I left home at 10:10am and didn't get home until 2:10pm. ugh.

The ultrasound appointment was just a quick check of my cervix and the babies. (I swore I wasn't going to give cervix updates on this blog, but since it's pretty relevant to pre-term labor I guess I'll get over it). Cervix is still long, which is good, but the tech showed that when she pressed on my belly to mimic the pressure from standing, it opened and shortened a little bit. Thus reinforcing the need for bedrest to keep the pressure off. The babies were thriving and adorable, as usual. Good heart rates, good fluid levels, good placentas. They are getting more crowded in there. In fact, Baby C's head is now wedged up under my ribs on the right. It is not comfortable. Apparently she looks like she's trying to get into a head down position, but Baby A is taking up too much room on the lower right side of my uterus so C can't get as far down as she wants to. It feels like I've pulled a muscle on that side and it hurts to lay on my right side unless I have a pillow under my ribs.

Then we head off to the other side of the hospital for the MFM appointment. At this point I am always in a wheelchair since the hospital is so big - it's nice being wheeled around! And Jason is getting the hang of steering. :) Apparently the clinic was running really behind - that's what happens when you have all high-risk patients in one day - apparently a lot of them had complications that needed to be dealt with. Our appointment was at 11:30. We weren't taken back to a room until 1:00. We spoke briefly with a med student at 1:15, then didn't see the resident and attending physician until after 1:30. So much for Jason's 2pm work meeting! This was the longest I'd ever had to wait for an appointment, and I was pretty uncomfortable and cranky. If I'm supposed to be on bedrest, I don't think 2 hours in a waiting room is good for me!

Anyway, they agreed that things are stable with my cervix and I should just keep on doing what I'm doing. So it was a 2 hour wait for a 10 minute conversation.

Then poor Jason had to drive me home and fix me lunch, then race out the door to work without getting to eat his lunch. It was a tiring day - I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to nap and lay as still as possible.

So, to sum up, the good news is that things seem to be stable. Plus, I'm 27 weeks today, which is one week closer to our goal of 32-34 weeks. I can't believe we could have these babies here within the next 7 weeks! I'm not sure I'm ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment