So I'm in the hospital for monitoring, due to signs of pre-term labor (contractions and slightly dilated cervix). So far the medications and bed rest seem to be helping. Here's a run-down of events that got me here.
I had been feeling some weird contractions and maybe symptoms of a UTI. None of it was very strong or severe, but yesterday I just had this wave of anxiety and thought I couldn't wait another week till my regular appointment. I have been really worried about pre-term labor and didn't want to risk anything. So I called my OB and they said to come on in to get checked out. There was no sign of infection, but they were concerned about the change in my cervix. So up to Labor & Delivery I went.
They strapped several monitors on me - we'll have to get a picture sometime - it looks pretty funny to have 3 heartrate monitors plus a contraction monitor all strapped to my big belly. They checked me periodically, things got a tiny bit worse, and they said I had to stay for a few days.
So they've been giving me meds to stop the contractions, fluids to help me stay hydrated, and steroid shots to help the babies' lungs mature. They are hopeful that this combination will help the babies to stay in for as long as possible. It's really scary to think about them being born this early, so I'm going to follow dr's orders the best I can.
I hope that they will let me go home by the end of the week to do bedrest there, but I'll stay here if they say that's best.
I will keep you updated as long as I have access to a laptop!

No comments:
Post a Comment