I'm happy to report that the sleep saga is improving. We have had several nights and naptimes in the past week when all 3 kids have fallen asleep together in their room without messing with each other or getting into trouble. I think a few things have helped - getting them really worn out, sticking with the same routine every night, and starting a sticker system. Every night we remind them of the bedtime rules, and now when we ask them what the rules are they are able to say "sleep in your own bed". They know they'll get stickers in the morning for falling asleep quietly, staying in their own beds, and staying asleep all night (Zoey especially needs to work on that last one). They love picking out their stickers in the morning and it seems like enough motivation for them. I don't think they'd really understand the idea of saving up stickers for a bigger prize, so we're not doing that. Zoey has been waking up pretty early (before 6am) and I'm tempted to get one of those toddler alarm clocks with the sun and the moon. I bet she's smart enough to figure it out, but it's hard when she gets up because she's hungry ("eat cheerios with milk!").
Next step - removing the mattress on the floor and hope that they stay in their beds most of the time. We often find someone sleeping on the big mattress, or on the cushions in their reading corner. We'll keep you posted!

The sticker idea is brilliant! I'm glad to hear that the sleep is getting better both for your family and mine (we have yet to make that transition but are bracing ourselves for the day Lucy makes it over the crib rail). So helpful to hear what is working for you guys.
ReplyDeleteAlso your exhaustion post really hit home. We love weekends but by sunday night we barely have the energy to crawl into bed.
As always your family is adorable. thanks for posting!