Here's what we did last weekend:
Saturday...
~6am Zoey up, with the rest following soon after
6-8am breakfast, diaper change, get dressed. Realize it's only 8am and we're already exhausted
8:30am load everyone up in the car and leave for the first farmer's market of the season
9-10am walk around the market, buy yummy food
10-10:30am playground, talk with random moms who say "I don't know how you do it with triplets". Our response: "lots of coffee"
11am get home, kids eat lunch
12pm nap
12-2pm we quickly eat lunch then get outside to do yardwork - pulling weeds is very therapeutic
2pm Zoey is up - she takes the shortest naps
3pm Mom and Zoey go to the grocery store
4pm unload groceries - it goes really quickly with 3 kids unpacking the bags!
I don't really remember what happened from 4pm-bedtime. I'm sure it involved lots of whining, maybe some playing outside, dinner, maybe baths.
Bedtime - you know how that saga is going. No need to rehash it.
Sunday...(Easter)
similar wake-up time
breakfast & get dressed
Easter baskets and egg hunt
play play play
nap
more yardwork for mom and dad during nap
kids wake up from nap, have snack
load up kids to go to MeMe and Hat-Dad's house for Easter dinner
wrangle kids while trying to eat ham
head home, collapse on couch for awhile, start bedtime routine
Get them to bed, continue collapsing on couch. We have much less free time in the evenings now - their bedtime was already later due to daylight savings time, and then the whole toddler bed thing has worsened it.
So that's a quick summary. Notice that during the 2 hour nap time we have to choose between doing outdoor work or indoor work. And then once the kids go to bed we're too tired to clean. So the house is kind of a wreck on the weekends that we do yardwork instead. We are pretty much exhausted by trying to keep up with them and the house. It would be nice if someday we could actually take a nap during naptime. We try to take turns and give each other chances to do things we need to do and get some exercise. Jason plays soccer every Sunday, and I get to yoga on Sundays as often as I can. We've also been doing more family outings on Saturday mornings - even going to Lowe's together is better than one of us staying home with the kids while the other goes out alone.
Of course this post isn't meant to imply that we're not grateful for our current life. We love our kids to pieces and would much rather be busy and exhausted with them than be well-rested without them. It's just hard sometimes to keep up with their relentless needs. Even though they have become much more "self-sufficient" since their infancy days, we can't exactly sit back and relax while they're awake.
It's a good thing they're so cute!

Hi Lisa-
ReplyDeleteI work with Jason and have been a casual follower for awhile. We have a toddler a bit younger than your trio... and I had a few thoughts about sleeping. We still use sleep sacks, which prevent climbing to some extent. You might be able to either eek out a few more months in cribs with them, or keep them in toddler beds more successfully that way. Also, we have the same crib, and IKEA makes bedrails for them.... maybe the combo would help? Good luck!
ooh, I didn't know IKEA made bedrails for the Gulliver cribs - I didn't see them when I looked online. I will definitely be calling IKEA, since traditional bedrails don't seem to fit these cribs. Thanks!
ReplyDelete